Saturday, April 12, 2008

Advice to the Graduate - The Silver Jews

So...my last class was on Thursday. Exams start Saturday...officially semester ends...

Someone recently told me they "never really go into them" in reference to the Silver Jews.

If you asked me to choose my favorite SJ song, I would not be able to choose just one - but hey - let me know what yours is...


If you got a message leave your name and number
And we'll get back to you...

Sleep on your back and ash in your shoes
and always use the old sense of the word
Your third drink will lead you astray
wandering down the backstreets of the world

On the last day of your life don't forget to die
the things that you do will always make your momma cry...
Well I know you gotta lot 'a hope for the new men
well I know you gotta lot 'a hope for the new men - m-a-a-an

So you got no friends and you wander through the night
and now you watch the sunrise through a rifle's sight
Well don't believe in people who say it's all been done
they have time to talk because their race is run

So get in some licks and hold your head up
and soon you'll be drinking from that crystal cup

Well I know you gotta lot 'a hope for the new men
well I know you gotta lot 'a hope for
so much hope for so much hope for
so much hope for so much hope for

Good morning to the new world, to the new world, to the new world...

I want hope for I want hope for I want hope for...

To the new to the new to the new to the new...

2 comments:

Robin Lindsay said...

Advice to the Graduate is the iconic Silver Jews song in my opinion. Its from their classical period, and features both Berman and Malkmus. It also helps that it is wicked.

My personal faves are Blue Arrangements ("i dig your amethest eyes, and your protestant thighs") and Send in the Clouds ("why can't monsters, get along with other monsters, swadisantra?")

DJ Foraday said...

I like those both and others (Random Rules, People, Trains across the sea...). Shit. Now see, I may never be able to add a Pavement song even to the blog, although these days, Summer Babe is looking pretty decent.